How to Move Home in Peterborough Stress Free
According to a recent survey, 60%* of Brits have put off looking for a new home purely because of the pressures involved with the moving process.
Furthermore, 34% said that they had suffered severe anxiety as a result of their last move and 65% experienced sleeping problems.
However, it doesn’t have to be such a terrible ordeal.
Moving home in Peterborough should, and can, be an exciting time. A chance to start afresh, seek out new opportunities and make your new property your own.
Research removal companies
You are going to be moving all your worldly possessions from your old home to your new one, so you need to make sure that they are in safe hands. Therefore, it is vital that you spend time researching removal companies in advance to ensure you find a reputable and trustworthy company.
If possible, ask family and friends for recommendations as well as reading a variety of online reviews from previous customers. It is a good idea to choose two or three removal firms to provide you with quotations before the big day so that you achieve a competitive price and know your moving needs will be adequately catered for.
Have a thorough clear out
Now is the ideal time to get rid of any unwanted belongings, such as furniture that won’t fit or be required in your new home, any clutter that has been piling up in the back of your cupboards, and basically any items that are surplus to your needs. Don’t forget about the garden, the loft (if you have one) and any outdoor storage areas.
Make a packing plan
You may think that you can get your packing completed in a matter of days, but sadly, this exciting, yet arduous task always takes longer than you think it will! Especially if you want to pack effectively so that the unpacking process in your new home can be carried out quickly.
It is a good idea to use colour labelling on your moving boxes, for example, blue for the bathroom, yellow for the kitchen and so on. Work your way systematically through each room, including the garden, and complete the packing for that room or area before moving onto the next.
Take care of all moving admin
You will have enough to deal with on the big day without having to worry about locating paperwork, or carrying out vital administrative tasks that could have been taken care of weeks earlier.
Before moving to a new house you should:
- Redirect your post – you can sign up to Royal Mail’s redirection service if you need more time to contact all your providers.
- Transfer school records. If you have children that will be attending a new school, you should ensure their school records are sent over before you move.
- Ensure you are insured for moving. Check to see if your belongings insurance covers a house move and if not, ask your removal company if they can provide further cover.
- Inform your utility companies about your move, including your home insurance providers. You should also take the gas, electricity and water meter readings before you leave your property.
- Confirm your moving day. This may seem an obvious task, but you will be surprised by how many people forget to do this.
- You also need to ensure that you have details regarding the collection of keys to your new property from your estate agent.
Source a survival kit
If you want to have a smooth and stress-free journey from your old home to your new one, then you will need a moving day survival kit. This should include supplies that you will need throughout the day, so you do not need to go rummaging through your packed boxes.
Items you may want to include are:
- Important documents such as information relating to your new home, contact details of your removal company, and any relevant insurance documents
- Mobile phone chargers
- Bottles of water and snacks
- Games or devices to keep the kids occupied
- Pet feeding bowls, food, toys and lead
- Tea, coffee and a kettle
- Loo roll!
It is also recommended that you pack a basic overnight bag so that you will have access to clean clothes, toiletries, medications, and snacks for the next morning.
Your survival kit will ensure you are organised on moving day and ready to start unpacking boxes in your new home stress free!
For further advice and for help with a stress free move in Peterborough , contact the friendly team at Next Move on 01733 641 642. We look forward to assisting you.